Contractor Liability

Discover Contractor Liability Through Real-Life Cases

HVAC system failures can and do happen. If a failure does occur, who is responsible? Generally, HVAC contractors and HVAC technicians are held legally responsible for HVAC work. As an HVAC contractor or HVAC technician, you could be held liable for installation or maintenance mistakes involving furnaces, boilers and other HVAC equipment.

Contractor Liability: Real-Life Cases

There have been many different cases that found an incomplete or faulty HVAC system to blame for injury and death. These cases underline the importance of being thorough, honest and committed to safety as a contractor.

Grandparents and Young Grandson Die of CO Poisoning in Their Home in Wisconsin

In October of 2017, authorities discovered an improperly installed furnace caused the carbon monoxide poisoning deaths of a couple and their 4-year-old grandson in northwestern Wisconsin. They were found unresponsive, showing signs of CO poisoning due to high levels of CO being found in their home.

CO Poisoning Leads to a Woman’s Death and Hospitalized Officers

In August 2018 in Maple Grove, Minnesota, a woman was found unresponsive in her apartment due to carbon monoxide poisoning. The three officers that responded needed to be hospitalized after entering the home. The gas was strong enough to be smelled from the apartments, yet only one of the carbon monoxide detectors was going off at the scene. Their emergency equipment showed extremely high levels of CO in the area.

Seven People Experience Carbon Monoxide Poisoning in Northern Minnesota

In December 2017 in northern Minnesota, authorities found seven individuals within a home requiring hospitalization for carbon monoxide exposure. Five first responders also had to be evaluated after entering the scene. The home’s boiler furnace was found to have some issues causing carbon monoxide leakage.

Carbon Monoxide Causes the Death of Two Lindstrom Women

In January 2015, two women and their pet dog were found to be victims of carbon monoxide poisoning in their Lindstrom home. Carbon monoxide detectors were not found in the home. However, the furnace was clogged and covered with ice outside, causing a buildup of the colorless gas, carbon monoxide.

Learn How to Improve Your Services with These Guides and Fact Sheets

To avoid complaints and possible lawsuits in the future, now is the time to improve your heating equipment services and inspections. The References page includes guides and fact sheets that outline Minnesota State law as well as other entities’ codes and guidelines. Protect your business by educating yourself on proper heating safety procedures.